Even with a fluctuating economy and always in disadvantage with the US currency, Latin Americans continue to invest in properties in Miami. Among the foreigners who buy in the city, we can say that there are 15% of Argentines, 11% of Venezuelans, 9% of Colombians and 8% of Brazilians. Mexicans and Peruvians complete the landscape. The real estate market in Miami is promising and, for that reason, it attracts investors from all over the world and especially from Latin America. Mortgage loans for foreign nationals are everywhere.
How and why do foreigners invest in Miami?
Investing an average of US $340,000 on a property, foreigners buy in Miami because they know that the rentability of a transaction there ends up being between 3% and 6%, according to the Miami Association of Realtors. In most cases, investments are made to protect people’s capital. Given the fluctuating economic situation in Latin American countries, even with some of them going through a political crisis, foreigners opt for this safer option: investing in Miami feels safer than in their own countries. With an initial percentage of the final value plus a mortgage loan, they can access a property that will allow them to safeguard the original investment, achieve some savings and bet on a better future.
The types of investments foreigners make in properties in Miami vary according to their purpose. 80% of foreigners invest in luxury residential assets. The rest is distributed among homes for rent, offices, or franchises. Being Miami a multicultural city, with amazing beaches, the best nightlife and ultimately becoming the hub of many technology companies and commercial ventures, the range of investment options is vast.
How to invest in Miami being a foreigner?
Generally, many foreigners invest cash. But if liquidity does not help and they need to apply for mortgage loans for foreign nationals, they should take into account that financial institutions analyze the following variables of credits for foreigners to define interest and terms:
- Type of property being purchased
- Source of income
- Source of liquidity
The mortgage loans rates for foreigners are usually low, ranging between 4.5% and 5% The minimum requirements are not too many. Let’s take a look below:
- Visa, based on their nationality (at least a valid tourist visa), and a copy of the passport.
- In the case of condominiums or townhouses, it is usually requested between 30% and 35% of the value of the property as initial payment.
- Proof of income and liquidity (for example movements in bank accounts, reference letters, salary receipts, etc.)
Which option is more convenient when applying for mortgage loans for foreign nationals?
When applying for mortgage loans for foreign nationals there are two main options:
- The first one is related to bank mortgage loans, that with lower interest rates are likely to be obtained. The disadvantage in this case is that banks offer less flexibility in customizing credits according to the investor’s conditions or goals.
- On the other hand, there are mortgage loans for foreigners from private investors. This second option is very common, it offers a range of options for each special need. These are operations that are mostly closed in less than 7 days, without bureaucracy in between. This type of loans is very useful since the real estate market in Miami usually moves very fast, the investor must act quickly in order to not losing the opportunity.
Miami, a magnet for foreigners
Being Miami totally multicultural, we can say it’s a cosmopolitan city, and this can be noticed in almost every aspect: art, gastronomy, music, and the events that take place every day in the place. That is one of the reasons why foreigners are attracted to Miami. Besides, there are regular tourists who are tired of paying high rents in the area for each holiday or vacation. Then, they decide to invest in new constructions or already built properties thinking in a long term, dreaming with ideal vacations. Miami will continue to be a first chosen destination by foreigners who seek a better life-quality or a safer place for their business investments.